Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Naan Bread & Wintery Days.


Long walks in heavy snow. Boots stick, threatening to slip off.
Kids ravenous from running and building snowmen and snow forts 
come inside red-cheeked ready for warmth.


Naan bread is a favorite warming food.
We dip it in hummus, wrap veggies and cheese inside, and use it as a pizza crust.

I make it in a bread maker....to be honest I would not make it often if I did not have one.
There are a plethora of them to be found at thrift shops for under $15.00

Here are the ingredients:

  1. 2 tsp of active dry yeast
  2. 1 cup warm water
  3. 3 tbsp white sugar
  4. 3 tablespoons milk
  5. 1 egg, beaten
  6. 2 teaspoons salt
  7. 3 1/2 cups bread flour
  8. 2 teaspoons minced garlic 
  9. 1/3 cup butter, melted

The first 8 ingredients go into the bread maker. The butter is for cooking the naan bread.
If you choose to make this by hand you will need to:

1. Let the yeast sit in the water til frothy.
2. Mix the first 7 ingredients & knead for about 7 min.
(7 is the number of completion!)
3. Cover the dough and let rise for an hour.
4. Add garlic & knead a few more minutes then divide the dough into roughly 12 balls.
5. Cover and let them double in size about 25-30 min.



Roll out the divided dough balls til the dough is thin, then place rolled dough on a hot skillet or griddle that has been drizzled with melted butter. The naan bread will bake quickly - a few minutes on each side. Medium-high heat works well. 

This is a lengthy post but I want to mention 2 recent conversations. One with a Doctor. One with a friend. The friend said she has determined that if she can avoid GMO's she finds her family does not have the same allergic reactions. I'm finding the same thing. Wheat Montana does not currently use GMO wheat for the flour. The doctor said pesticides used on food could have a part in allergic responses.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a physician :) Do not take this as me giving medical advice, I'm not.  I'm just letting you know what I am trying out for myself as I incorporate different foods.)

No comments:

Post a Comment