Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Handmade Christmas



Somewhere there is a box with 5 stockings, ornaments & Christmas lights….

But I have not idea where. My little guy, who really isn't so little anymore, asked if he could have a stocking this Christmas.

Umm. Yes. 

And I happen to have a tub full of shrunken wool sweaters that would perform beautifully as a stocking.


 

B/c I can be technically challenged, the easiest way for me to get a stocking pattern for the right shape was to buy an ugly velour stocking for .99 cents from a thrift shop. It felt easier than trying to print a pattern that was sure to be larger than 8x10.

I pinned the ugly stocking to my wool and cut out the wool stocking. I pinned that piece to another piece of wool and cut out the back side of the stocking. At this point I cut out a cuff for the stocking hanger (top right) and a few pieces of coordinating wool for my embellishments (tree, snowman, wreath, star, candy cane, whatever you want) and sewed them in place.

I pinned the two pieces together, and the hanger at the top and sewed along the side, giving myself about a 1/4" along the edge.

It actually looks darling, so don't worry about the stitches showing.

Waa Laa. Step 1 of your handmade Christmas is done.

Or, Just slide on over to Etsy and order / buy one from M & I.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheKnottedApron?ref=hdr_shop_menu



No comments:

Post a Comment